Monday, September 17, 2012

NYC San Gennaro Feast All Mobbed Up


San Gennaro Feast!

The San Gennaro brought us some Mob Wives action this weekend. Friday night I was surfing facebook when I came across this poster for WCBS FM 101.1 featuring a visit from Renee Graziano and Big Ang's sister, Janine Detore, on their stage.  Wow! It's been a few years since I made it down to the feast, but I was sure I didn't want to miss this event. I knew Leah was in town and she was surely going to the the feast too.

Crowd!

WCBS 101.1, who features Joe Causi, a radio legend in his own way, was present on stage.  You can catch his radio selections playing in most deli's across town.  He is from Brooklyn and has been a steady rock in radio since the 80's. He teamed up with Vincent Medugno, who is known as Mr. Staten Island, and a close friend of the Mob Wives. I love this guy. I've met him on several occasions and he is full of fun and very talented. We've seen him on one of Big Ang's episodes, DJ'ing at the Drunken Monkey.

Renee and Vincent Medugno

It took me quite a while to make it to the front of that stage, but thanks to "my connections," as Chiara often reminds me, I managed to get front and center to hang out with the Mob Wives group. I got there just in time to hear Renee on stage, but unfortunately missed her singing "Jack the Knife" with Vinny! The evening was full of old-time songs and the crowd just loved it and sang along to every song. It was a bit chaotic and the crowd was shoulder to shoulder. The WCBS stage appeared to be most popular. Frank Russo, bartender at The Drunken Monkey was there also. As crazy and crowded as it was, I managed to get a few pictures. Big Ang's sister, Janine, came up on stage to answer a few questions. She talked about her book and the salon. The sisterly admiration they have for one another just shines when she speaks. They are one great family. I wish I could have stayed longer, but my nephew was ready to hit every food stand. And I, of course, had to seek out homemade italian cheesecake!

Here are some more pictures. Enjoy them!

Renee and Leah!

Frank, Renee, Joe

Beautiful Leah!

Frank and Renee


Written By: Carmela Corleone

Picture Credit: Carmela Corleone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a blast! :D Glad you were able to get some pics, Carmela...kinda reminds me of the Croatian picnics my folks and I attend yearly in our neighborhood.