Friday, August 10, 2012

Big Ang: A “Slice” of Anthony Cracchiolo



I had the pleasure of meeting Anthony Cracchiolo, who appears on The Big Ang show and is one of the very hot bartenders at the Drunken Monkey, at the opening of his new pizza place "Anthony’s Pizza Pasta Perfect," located  in Staten Island, back in June. We got to taste several dishes on the menu and meet and greet with some of the Mob Wives. Renee, AJ and Big Ang were in attendance for autographs and pictures. This week I spoke to Anthony on the phone and asked a few questions that I was curious about.  

Carmela: Hi Anthony, thank you for taking the time out to talk with me.

Anthony: No problem

C: Tell me, where did you grow up?

A: Bensonhurst, Brooklyn

C: I read that you were in Florida, did you live there also?

A: I grew up in Brooklyn and worked in pizzerias here. I worked with family my whole life. I took a vacation with my girlfriend, to Florida, and saw how cheap things were down there. I feel in love with it and came back home, and told my parents that I wanted to move there.

C: What were you doing in Florida?

A: I owned a pizza place and then tried my hand in a night club. I had some friends who lived down there that were in the mortgage/real estate business, so I sold my pizza place and went into business doing that. Once the real estate market dumped down there I realized Florida got the best of me and decided to move back to NY.

C: How did you end up being part of The Big Ang show?

A: When I was back to NY, Big Ang came to me and said that the Drunken Monkey wasn't doing well. She felt since I am familiar with the bar business maybe I could help boost business. I told her I hadn't bartended in 10 years, but I decided to help her out. I started bartending one night a week, got a DJ and ran some drink specials. The bar was renovated as I was knee deep in construction on my own place, and then I was busy filming. I’m happy the Monkey is doing well now.


C: How is your pizza place doing?

A: We're doing alright. It’s a little slow, but that’s because it’s summer and school is out.

C: Yes, I know it too well. Summer is a tough time. Tell me the best thing on the menu.

A: The Margarita or Grandma Pie. Its made with fresh mozzarella, basil, sauce and pecorino romano cheese. They are the same except the Grandma Pie is Sicilian style, with a thinner crust.


C: Sounds good. What is your relationship with Big Ang?

A: I don't want to say she's like a mother figure, but more like an aunt. I look up to her and ask her for relationship advice. She wants me to do well and settle down. Sometimes she talks serious to me and then the next minute she's like, let’s do some shots. (we laugh).

C: Are you known for a special drink?

A: Yes! It's called the Panty Dropper.

C: (Thought in my head not out loud)  I have to tell you for a minute since the connection wasn't that clear I thought at first he said Jenny Dropper. Oh my I thought...but no-I def heard wrong, lol! So I ask, Oh...what is it?

A: It’s Patrone cafe, Kahlua and Baileys served as a shot.



C: Are you dating?

A: Well....lets just say I’m seeing a few different girls.

C: (another thought in my head) I think its best I shortened the answer above. Do you see yourself settling down?

A: Yes, with someone with the same roots. Someone I can trust. I don’t want a trophy wife or a girl that wants to party all night. Like the girl next door.

C: Maybe you should review some of the girls you went to high school with that were the nice girls? Maybe a neighborhood girl?

A: Yeah, I passed up a few good ones.

C: Do you have any hobbies or what do you like to do when you're not bartending or at the pizza place?

A: Oh, I like to sport fish, jet ski, I like quadding and I like to hunt. I follow the seasons.

C: Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?

A: Owning a chain of restaurants and a sports bar. I'd like to settle down and have a couple of kids.

C:Wow that's a big wish list for 5 years.

A: Yeah.

C: Will I see you back on the Big Ang show?

A: Yes! I'm in the next five episodes! I only missed the last show because I was in Florida.

That concludes the interview with Anthony. He was great to chat with. I tell you, this guy is a good catch and he can cook too!! 

Be sure to visit Anthony's Pizza Pasta Perfect on Hyland Blvd. They are open Tuesday - Sunday from 11am-11pm.

And, be sure to follow me on twitter @carmelacorleone

Tune into The Big Ang show that  airs on VH1 Sunday nights at 9PM ET following Mob Wives Chicago.

Interview Written By: Carmela Corleone

Picture Credit: Anthony Cracchiolo

No comments: