Monday, September 12, 2011

Spartacus: Death of a Legend

Andy Whitfield as Spartacus
I have not written anything in a while. I was just listening to Howard Stern and heard that Andy Whitfield has died. For those not familar with Andy, he played the role of Spartacus on the Starz network's "Spartacus: Blood and Sand." I know that I can write this for Mob Mistress. She is a big fan. (It was more like an obsession, but I am attempting to be kind.)  I think she went as far as claiming that he was her new baby's daddy.

Andy Whitfield was an Australian born actor who was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He battled the disease shy of two years. He was 39 years old. For those that have not watched him in action his show is currently available on Netflix but you might also be able to catch it on Starz in reruns. There are many memorable scenes. One thing that I could appreciate about Andy, he could take one helluva an ass beating. He also dealt out death like it was cool. The show is bloody, violent and sexy but there was more.
For those who watched the show, the one thing that struck me was Spartacus and his love for his wife. I could get into the whole synopsis of the show.  Instead I will share Spartacus was a warrior who then was enslaved. He fought for his life hoping to see his wife again. He loved his wife dearly and Andy conveyed the emotion needed for the role.

I am truly saddened to learn of his death.  It's also odd the show will continue without Andy Whitfield. He will be missed by a devoted wife, son, daughter, family, friends and fans. I am sure Mistress is about three quarters of her way through the Chunky Monkey and sour cream and onion potato chips.  She was touched when it came to Spartacus. Rest in peace Andy, you will be missed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Im so sorry to hear of this brilliant & gorgeous oh so talented young actors loss to his battle with cancer. Their is an old russian proverb it translates too "the fortunate are the dead for living is true pain" May our prince find peace while escaping the pain of his cancer & may his legacy live on in film.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, seen Spartacus before...terrible loss

SMOOTH KEV said...

I WATCH THE SHOW WITH ANDY IN IT, BEFORE THE MOB WIVES, THEY ARE TRASH.